[lit-ideas] Re: Can't have a gun? Get a dog

  • From: JimKandJulieB@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 2 Jun 2006 21:37:37 EDT

We had a large (80 pound, roughly) doby/hound mix.  His owner who used  him
for hunting (possum, yea even), abandoned him.  He left the dog with my  bro w/
the promise to return for the dog, and never did.  I fell in love  with the
dog who had been named, appropriately, "Hunter".  I've always  loved the look
of dobies and Hunter looked almost like a pure-bred.  He was  about 3 - 4 years
according to the vet.  He had a beautifully sweet and  affectionate
disposition.  We brought him home on trial.  He was great  with the kids who
were
toddlers at the time.  They could pull his ears,  ride his back like a
pony.....he
was never anything but patient and  gentle.  My husband had a redneck friend
who had accumulated an eclectic  group of skills -- he could do anything --
electrical work, plumbing,  carpentry, mechanical work, you name it.  We were
doing some remodeling and  this friend offered to do the work at a
significantly
lower rate than we would  have had to pay someone else.  And he knew what he
was doing, in  spades.  He was in the back yard with Hunter and Hunter did
something that  made Karl (redneck guy) mad -- I don't even recall what it was
--
chewing on  some piece of equipment or jumping on him or something.  I looked
out the  window and saw Karl literally beating Hunter with his fists.  I

Almost immediately after that incident Hunter turned aggressive.  He  had
always been a wonderful watch dog, barking loudly and convincingly if a
stranger
approached the house but he never DID anything.  After the beating  incident
he bit the wood-delivery man, the piano tuner, a vet we asked to make a  house
call (who normally would know how to deal with aggressive animals), my
husband, myself (when I bent down to pick up an empty Taco Bell wrapper from my

daughter's floor.  When he cornered my 8 year old in the laundry room  snarling
at her because there was spilled cat food on the floor he wanted, we  had him
put down.

Anecdotal evidence is not always worthless.

Julie Krueger

========Original  Message========     Subj: [lit-ideas] Re: Can't have a gun?
Get a dog  Date: 6/2/06 8:11:49 P.M. Central Daylight Time  From:
_phil.enns@xxxxxxxxxxxx (mailto:phil.enns@xxxxxxxxxxx)   To:
_lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Paul Stone wrote:

"If you ever see a well  behaved pit-bull terrier or a rotty, chances are
their owners DID kick their  ass when they were younger, but still big."

We had a Rott/Shepherd mix  that had come from a bad home.  The dog was
at its best when it felt  that I was in control of the situation.  I
didn't have to kick its ass,  and I am pretty sure that would have made
things worse, only make it clear  that I was in charge of whatever
situation we were in.

This dog was  excellent with our oldest daughter.  Katie would get a book
and plonk  herself down between the front paws of the dog.  Imagine an
80lb Rott  lying down and still towering over a toddler reading a book to
him.  The  dog had a remarkable amount of patience for the curiosity of a
toddler.   When he tired of the abuse, he would slowly get up and hide in
another  room.  I don't know if it is the breed or just this dog, but I
can't  imagine a better mix of protection and family  pet.

Sincerely,

Phil Enns
Toronto,  ON