[lit-ideas] Re: Can't have a gun? Get a dog

  • From: Omar Kusturica <omarkusto@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 2 Jun 2006 08:31:46 -0700 (PDT)

--- Lawrence Helm <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Omar,
>

> Actually the clich?in America is different from
> that.  The clich?is that
> men who have fierce pit-bulls or Rottweilers
> (usually the only two breeds
> mentioned) want to show how macho they are.  The
> American clich?is somewhat
> closer to reality than yours because strong-willed
> dogs take strong willed
> people to dominate them.

*Well, that seems to be the cliche in most places. I
hope that you don't think that I am using this forum
simply to express the cliches of some other societies.
(Especially since it's not very clear which society'd
clishes I should be expressing.) I have never really
owned a big dangerous dog, but I have a suspicion that
1) dominating the dog will often be done by a
professional rather than the actual owner and 2) dogs
usually tend to know quite well who their owners are,
and hence allow themselves to be dominated by them.

> When it comes to dogs and people, for the most part,
> reason goes out the
> window.

*I didn't mean personal offence to you here. Some of
your earlier remarks seemed to indicate that you don't
expect too much protection from your dogs, and I hope
that you are not using them to 'impress' (read scare)
people.

> I started out trying to apply reason to the
> acquisition of a dog.

*I'm not sure that this is the kind of issue where
reason is the best guide. To live well with any dog,
big or small, you should care about the dog and the
dog should care about you.

O.K.

http://mail.yahoo.com