[lit-ideas] Re: Can't have a gun? Get a dog

  • From: Harold Hungerford <hh@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 1 Jun 2006 17:15:25 -0700

OOps. We have an attack poodle, and I meant to forward this to my wife's e-mail

On Jun 1, 2006, at 5:05 PM, Harold Hungerford wrote:

Ho ho ho.

On Jun 1, 2006, at 9:11 AM, David Ritchie wrote:

On Jun 1, 2006, at 8:09 AM, Omar Kusturica wrote:

I've got to admit that I have always suspected the
people who take big dogs to protect them of being
cowards. Not sure about guns.

Sometimes the dogs themselves seem like cowards, or print union members in the era of Harold Wilson. Our friends have a Bernese Mountain Dog, about the size of a small bear. When you arrive at their door, he barks like he wants to take your arm off. They call out, "The door's open." You step in. The dog goes, "I'm only paid for the barking. The actual preventing should be done by a skilled member of the United Brotherhood of Attack Poodles. So I'm done." And he lies down and goes he back to sleep. "Buddy" is his name and being very friendly--after a diverting display--is his game.

An ideal combination, I suppose. All the signs of a house defender and none of the danger that the dog will turn on you. I asked what they were bred for. Carting cheese from here to there in the Alps, is what I was told. Who knew there were cheese dogs?

David Ritchie,
Portland, Oregon