[lit-ideas] Can consciousness be analysed corpuscularly?

  • From: Adriano Palma <Palma@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 9 Sep 2015 05:34:49 +0000

no

-----Original Message-----
From: lit-ideas-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:lit-ideas-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On
Behalf Of dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: 08 September 2015 22:10
To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [lit-ideas] Re: Logical Corpuscularism

Can consciousness be analysed corpuscularly?

In a message dated 9/8/2015 10:19:58 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
donalmcevoyuk@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:
"I well remember when the last ambulance came to take me away, I heard someone
say "I think he's lost consciousness" - only to be rebuked for using a "term
of art". Then the voice said "Sorry, I mean his personal identity isn't the
best." I now think the people who took me away were Griceans."
or Dodgsonians.

For there are two terms of art in the utterance: 'consciousness' and one's
ability to lose it.

The Queen asked Alice: "Take a bone from a dog: what remains?"
Alice considered. "The bone wouldn't remain, of course, if I took it—and the
dog wouldn't remain: it would come to bite me—and I'm sure I shouldn't remain!"
"Then you think nothing would remain?" said the Red Queen.
"I think that's the answer."
"Wrong, as usual," said the Red Queen: "the dog's temper would remain."
"'But I don't see how—"
"Why, look here!' the Red Queen cried. "The dog would LOSE its temper,
wouldn't it?"
"'Perhaps it would," Alice replied cautiously.
"Then, if the dog went away, its temper would remain!" the Queen exclaimed
triumphantly.
Alice said, as gravely as she could, "They might go different ways." But she
couldn't help thinking to herself 'What dreadful nonsense we are talking!"

Back to McEvoy:

"I well remember" the following conversation:

NURSE 1: I believe, if you ask me, McEvoy has lost his consciousness.

(Ed. He hasn't -- the belief is wrong).

NURSE 2: Are we talking terms of art here?

NURSE 1: Oops, sorry. I meant to IMPLICATE: McEvoy's personal identity isn't
the best."

NURSE 2: I don't JUST mean 'his consciousness'. I mean the whole idea of
'losing' it!

Now back to Dodgson:

i. If you take a bone from a dog, the dog loses his temper.

Dodgson is having in mind a music-hall song.

ii. If you are late for your train, you may miss it.

iii. I haven't lost my train yet*.

"Lose" belongs to w1, 'temper' and 'consciousness' don't: they belong in w2.

It's different from letting your mind [let] loose -- or losing your mind.
But only _slightly_ different.

Cheers,

Speranza

I'm a modest little maiden from the country Where I'm living with my Mother
quite alone And its only very seldom she allows me To betake myself to London
“On my own”
For in town I have a sort of second cousin Who enjoys to take me round to see
the sights And he always comes and meets me At the station and he treats me To
the various Metropolitan delights.

Yes, there's nothing half so sweet
As the days on which we meet
For he's quite the nicest boy I've ever met But although I love a lark In the
day and in the dark

I have never lost my last train yet, Oh no I have never lost my last train yet.

I admit I'm very fond of nature's beauty Of the flowers and the birdies in the
air And the chickens and the ducks who gather round me And the cattle who
regard me with a stare Now this sort of thing, no doubt is very charming But
its really getting very, very slow And I'm longing for sensations Such as
gentle dissipations Which I always find in London, when I go.

For I've experienced what it is
To have quaffed a glass of “Fizz”
When you're supping with a gay and giddy set And I've joined with one and all
In a Covent Garden Ball but

I have never lost my last train yet, Oh no I have never lost my last train yet.

Now although I am as heartless as a lambkin That has never heard of mint sauce
in its “Puff”
I am getting somewhat sick of rural beauty Or in other words I've had about
enough I should love to have a flat in Piccadilly And to go and do exactly as
I chose For had I my habitation In a West End situation Then of course, I
would not have a train to lose.

Yes, I've learnt to know the bliss
Of a stolen little kiss
When you heave a sigh and softly murmur “Pet”
As you gaze into his face
Wrapt in amorous embrace but

I have never lost my last train yet, Oh no I have never lost my last train yet.

Now a week or two ago I asked my cousin
To escort me to Boulogne - just for the day Very soon we were on board the
Marguerite, boys And we had a fair old beano on the way At Boulogne we found
the fun was fast and furious And of ways to pass the time there was no lack We
were feeling oh so happy When I said “Look here old chappy Don't you think
it's time that we were getting back?”

For when looking at the clock
I received a dreadful shock
On discovering the sun had gone and set So a telegram I wrote “Dear mamma
I've missed the boat” but I have never lost my last train yet, Oh no I have
never lost my last train yet.

Written and composed by G. Rollit & George Le Brunn - 1912 Performed by Marie
Lloyd (1870-1922)
To change your Lit-Ideas settings (subscribe/unsub, vacation on/off, digest
on/off), visit www.andreas.com/faq-lit-ideas.html