[lit-ideas] Can You Imagine Not Imagining 2 + 2 = 5?

  • From: Eric Yost <mr.eric.yost@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2007 23:57:37 -0500

>>No claim we make as to the truth is ever _demonstrably certain_ - and this is so even if our claim happens to be true. The search for certainty is therefore an irrelevancy (one perpetuated by traditional philosophy).

"One gives oneself a false picture of doubt." [Wittgenstein, On Certainty, 249, Harper Torchbooks, p. 33e]

Been glowering at the sentence above. If no truth claim is demonstrably certain, is the claim, "no truth claim is demonstrably certain" itself certain?

Doesn't this point to the essential nature of paradox in all realizations? Why do some authors start their careers in full academic mode (footnotes, attributions, well-supported arguments) and end in aphorisms (Nietzsche, Norman O. Brown)?

Eric