[lit-ideas] Re: CIA Secret Prisons

  • From: Eric Yost <eyost1132@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2006 13:44:27 -0400

Simon: Possibly you do [have to take Draconian measures, not afford terrorists the rights under Geneva Convention that are granted to soldiers of other nations] but then why keep it secret?

It's not really a secret, is it? Even before the "startling" disclosures, I assumed something like that was happening. I'm sure most people did. You could read about it before 9/11...the slang term for it was giving the terrorist "a trip to the Pyramids," meaning rendition to Egypt.

So we have a choice of selecting with whom we primarily identify. Do we identify with the terrorist being so rendered? That's easy. Imagine you are falsely charged with a terrorist connection, stripped of your rights, and sent to some hell hole for waterboarding.

Do you take the other route and identify with thousands of innocents who are spared from sudden death or lifelong misery? The latter choice is harder because nebulous. It's easy to imagine one individual going the Kafka route, subject to the whims of a psychotic government. Most of us have read _The Trial_.

However, the notion of scores of people living their lives without being terror victims: for that we have no existential literature. In the mind's eye, it just looks like the status quo.