[lit-ideas] Re: Busking Opera Babes/Call for contributions

  • From: David Ritchie <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 2 Sep 2006 11:16:26 -0700

On Sep 2, 2006, at 10:19 AM, Judith Evans wrote:

Thank you, Lawrence -- I'd heard of them but managed not to hear
them sing!  But I've now found some clips online; yes, they're good.
They have a new CD.  I don't know why

<x-tad-bigger>>They were discovered busking in Covent Gardens</x-tad-bigger>

<x-tad-bigger>G4 (a not-Il Divo popera boy band) were buskers too (while</x-tad-bigger>
<x-tad-bigger>they were music students, yes).   They came second</x-tad-bigger>
<x-tad-bigger>in a reality TV show (of the kind we manage to inflict on you</x-tad-bigger>
<x-tad-bigger>rather too often) and became professionals.  They're trained</x-tad-bigger>
<x-tad-bigger>classical musicians and sometimes really good.
</x-tad-bigger>

It may be that the "Cambridge Buskers" were the first down this particular path. With piccolo and accordion they started at Blackfriars tube station and ended up under contract with Deutsche Grammophon and writing the score to a movie called "Sweet William" (which I haven't seen). This was in the late seventies. I have their record--yes I still play records... on a record player--"A Little Street Music."

Since we're on the subject of music and since the Western Front here is currently quiet, I'd like to ask the list what is the most annoying song lyric you can remember. The question arises because three (three!) shops I visited this week were playing Paul McCartney singing, "Live and Let Die."

Here is section that gets me:

<x-tad-bigger>You used to say live and let live,
(You know you did, you know you did, you know you did)
But if this ever changing world in which we live in
Makes you give in and cry,

I'm going about my business, doing my best to stimulate the economy with large purchases of carrots or fish food, and I say to myself, "Self, don't listen to that second 'in.' It will annoy you."

Ha!

I can refuse to look at road accidents as I drive by, but I cannot blot out an annoying lyric. 'strawdinry.

David Ritchie,
mulling over his reaction to the Stephen Straker Memorial Lecture announcement in
Portland, Oregon</x-tad-bigger>