[lit-ideas] Re: Bush the Sphinx

  • From: "Andy Amago" <aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "lit-ideas" <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2005 17:44:29 -0400

Those others were also in his father's administration.  Except Rove.  How
do you explain that?

>The character traits--religious ex-boozer--seem manufactured
> to spin any embarrassing facts from his past.

You're kidding, right?  Sounds to me you'll excuse this guy anything.  No
matter what he does, it's someone else's fault.  He did use the religious
right to get elected.  In fact, he helped his father get elected using his
influence with them.  (Bush Senior is nominally religious.)  You're
suggesting he's the Man Who Wasn't There.  I prefer at least the Invisible
Man, who was able to make things happen.  Bad things, but at least let him
take responsibility for his eight years.

I mean, he bought the
> Crawford Ranch in the late '90s as a prop for his presidential bid,
> so where can you imagine his real home is?

I don't imagine.  He was governor of Texas, he had to live somewhere after
the governor's mansion.  I can't see how you can judge someone except by
their actions, especially if the same set of advisors behaved differently
under his father's leadership.