[lit-ideas] Re: Bush the Sphinx

  • From: Eric Yost <mr.eric.yost@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2005 15:49:18 -0400

Mike: Bush is . . . . stupid and morally base, and he's been (so far) politically successful precisely because he appeals to the lowest common denominator in the electorate : that is, what is morally base and stupid in them.

Eric: This is actually a comforting view. A stupid, immoral guy whose connections run the country...much nicer than the arch-fiend possibility, that of someone who intentionally helps transform his country into a banana republic, someone who scuttles his own boat, lets his crew drown, and flees to China in his daddy's helicopter.

As for the "most morally stupid" prize, I'd hesitate to award it. There are so many candidates, from so many countries, many of them with bigger body counts. He might be on the short list, assuming it was a long short list. But who knows? Maybe he is. If I could get a handle on him, I'd be in a better position to judge.