[lit-ideas] Re: Bush and Domestic Land Issues

  • From: JimKandJulieB@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2006 06:04:47 EST

<<I've  been to Arizona. I loved it and have been wanting to take a vacation
there and  take my child (I was there for a conference--and some of my friends
who are in  the area took me around--it was simply breath-taking--but they
drove and I just  gazed [when we didn't hike] and keep a photo on my desk at
work 'cause it was so  pretty)>>
Oh stop!  Mercy!  You're  bringing back all the longings I have for that
place.  Memories of the  saguaros with arms raised to heaven and huge yellow
bursts of flowers at the  hands, the smell of dry warm air, sand storms and
tumbleweed and bright colours  worn that no-one can get by with in pallid
midwest,
dips in outdoor pools  in the middle of the night to cool off....  and
Sedona....the Painted  Desert.....my god in heaven nothing is so beautiful.....
Julie Krueger
still homesick for Phoenix after all  these years

========Original  Message========     Subj: [lit-ideas] Bush and Domestic
Land Issues  Date: 2/22/06 1:21:08 A.M. Central Standard Time  From:
_Eternitytime1@xxxxxxxx (mailto:Eternitytime1@xxxxxxx)   To:
_lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi,
Speaking of Bush's Grand Plans on the Domestic Side, I'm  sure you all are
aware that his administration asked the Bureau of Land  Management to begin to
soften its language so that the preservation of various  national forests and
parks might be opened up (eventually) for things like  four-wheeling, etc.

Now, I have played with such toys with various  friends

 and find them grand fun. There are specific parks  designated for this--and
though perhaps there are commercial reasons for opening  up national parks to
this sort of activity--part of me really thinks it might  spoil the
naturalness of the few remaining wilderness areas.

But, perhaps I am mistaken. I like to read poetry,  essays, stories about the
wonder that people experience when they head into  nature's wonder.

Maybe I'm just not as familiar with the poetry, essays,  stories about the
wonder of only living in planned parks and gardens. (though I  truly do enjoy
my
community parks, the Rose Gardens in the area, and even the  amusement parks
such as the Disneyland and World.)

But, has anyone been here: The  Grand Canyon-Parashant and Vermilion Cliffs
National Monument, as well as the  north rim of the Grand Canyon?

These are being discussed right now by the Bureau of Land  Management (the
last day for public comments is March 17. The Bureau of Land  Management's plan
is on their website at _http://www.blm.gov/az/LUP/strip/reports.htm_
(http://www.blm.gov/az/LUP/strip/reports.htm) .

I would greatly appreciate it if we could analyze this  plan--theoretically,
it opens the door for off-road vehicles etc.  Right  now it seems that the
plan allows for 1700 miles in the two monuments and an  additional 1000 miles
for
the Arizona Strip area outside them. Theoretically,  these routes are not
very safe and lead nowhere--disrupting the region's  wildlife and natural area.
(I'm guessing it's a lot of miles--maybe up and down?  Make it hard to hike in
solitude?)  Theoretically, when they did a poll of  Americans in 2002, they
found that
89% asked for more protection the area's natural and  archaeological
sites--and to limit even the existing off-road vehicle  trails...and the plan
did not
concern itself with its own poll (well, they have  to please the boss--who
apparently does not have to please the people who  elected him?)

Has anyone been to these places?  Is it worth the  trouble to write a letter?
 (there are still three public hearings to be  held, but they are in Arizona
and that's too far away to go)  I mean--I  realize that the Bush Admin just
eliminated the wildlife and environmental  protections put in place by Reagan's
Administration regarding the Alaskan by  selling the leases for the oil
production to begin in the North Slope (rather  than the central area of the
Alaskan
petroleum reserve--even though three former  Secretary of Interiors, Congress
(and general public) asked him to hold off on  the North Shore bit or at
least to not include Teshekpuk Lake ... and to please  focus on the central
artic
around someplace called Prudhoe Bay.

I mean--I may never make it to the our country's North  Slope--our only artic
ecosystem--but we have Canadian friends and maybe they  have an artic
ecosystem that we can go visit if we want to someday?  Or  that we can move our
wilderness's important aspects to?

But--I've been to Arizona. I loved it and have been  wanting to take a
vacation there and take my child (I was there for a  conference--and some of my
friends who are in the area took me around--it was  simply breath-taking--but
they
drove and I just gazed [when we didn't hike] and  keep a photo on my desk at
work 'cause it was so pretty)  So, this troubles  me a bit more, maybe, than
Alaska ... after all, I know and hear that Bush is a  Great Leader and knows
what he is doing--but I still <sigh> would like to  think that my son's kids
would get to be in the middle of an 'unplanned' area  and feel the wonder of
Nature...

I'm trying to trust Bush's philosophy on land management,  Lawrence, but it
sometimes is awfully hard when you grew up on a farm and loved  to walk and sit
by water--have gotten to see the mountains...and not just  on the edge or
surrounded by gobs of people looking at Pike's Peak (thought that  was fun,
too--but nothing like the wonder in the mountains when you feel all  alone in
the
world...)

Anyway, Bush on Domestic Issues--particularly the land  ones tonight - well,
I'm just not sure that he has the long-term thinking  that I wish a great
leader had.  (and letting you know that it does not  seem to be working--so
need
some assistance here! IS Disneyworld's theme park  the best that my son's
kids/grandkids will be able to hope for?)

I know Bush and Cheney have their own ranches so perhaps  they don't see the
same need that those of us in the suburbs do and have. (not  to mention you
citified folk-- or kids)

I just think they lack perspective on so many issues--and  this happens to be
the one that I'm dreaming about tonight--and worried  about...

Or, maybe it is just that I wish I could go for a walk in  the wilderness ...
and don't know if it will be noisy and full of ORV when I get  there...

Best,
Marlena