[lit-ideas] Bush Interviewed on 60 Minutes

  • From: "Andreas Ramos" <andreas@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Lit-Ideas" <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2007 22:38:45 -0800

PELLEY: Did you see the video of Saddam Hussein's . . .

BUSH: I saw some of it.

PELLEY: . . . execution?

BUSH: Yeah.

PELLEY: What did you think when you saw that?

BUSH: I thought it was discouraging.

(...)

PELLEY: You know better than I do that many Americans feel that your administration has not been straight with the country, has not been honest. To those people you say what?

BUSH: On what issue?

PELLEY: Well, sir . . .

BUSH: Like the weapons of mass destruction?

PELLEY: No weapons of mass destruction.

BUSH: Yeah.

PELLEY: No credible connection between 9/11 and Iraq.

BUSH: Yeah.

PELLEY: The Office of Management and Budget said this war would cost somewhere between $50 billion and $60 billion and now we're over $400 billion.

BUSH: I gotcha. I gotcha. I gotcha.

(...)

PELLEY: But wasn't it your administration that created the instability in Iraq?

Watch the interview at
http://www.cbsnews.com/sections/i_video/main500251.shtml?id=2359185n

The interview background reports that a majority of US troops now oppose the war (poll in Army Times).

A friend told me that a national TV news story a week ago reported that US troops are being trained without rifles. They get a weapon only when they arrive in Iraq. Why? Because the US Army lacks $100 million dollars and can't afford equipment for training.

yrs,
andreas
www.andreas.com