[lit-ideas] Bush Doctrine naysayers

  • From: "Lawrence Helm"<lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Lit-Ideas" <Lit-Ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 10 Mar 2007 18:04:05 +0000

 It took me awhile to get around to Steyn's book because it is a "doomsday"
book and such books are usually no fun to read, but Steyn is a good writer and
has a great number of very clever passages; so he turned out to be much more
fun than I anticipated.  Consider,

"All those Bush Doctrine naysayers who argue that Iraq is an artificial entity
that can never be a functioning state ought to take a look at the Netherlands.
You think Kurds and Arabs, Sunni and Shia are incompatible?  What do you call a
jurisdiction split between post-Christian secular gay potheads and anti-whoring
anti-sodomite anti-everything-you-dig Islamists?  If Kurdistan's an awkward fit
in Iraq, how well does Pornostan fit in the Islamic Republic of Holland?
Europe's problems don't nullify the Bush Doctrine so much as present a more
urgent case for it."

You . . . or maybe only I . . . gotta love it.

Lawrence, 15 in California, and loving it!