[lit-ideas] Re: Bur-where

  • From: David Ritchie <profdritchie@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 9 Jun 2014 22:31:08 -0700

Up at five thirty tomorrow, which theoretically will put me on European time,
but on what I think is technically called "the wrong day," given that I have to
be in an upright position, with legs carefully placed, till late on Wednesday.
I take L. and E. to the airport and then I'm hoping for a brief snooze between
other tasks, before I take off for the airport at one thirty, headed north and
then, with aid of a sharp right turn, towards a place no one in the banking
business can name.  I mention this deficit because, following the wishes of
said community, I called today to tell credit and debit people that I shall be
in foreign parts.  "England, Belgium and Germany."
Said one tele-person in Nevada, "Italy and where now?"
"Eng-land, Bel-gi-um and Ger-man-y."
"Bur, where?"
Shame there isn't a website where you can click on Bur-where and just be done
with it.

While I was sorting through a backlog of mail I decided to find out why I
haven't received the $25 card I was promised during the Christmas season for
using one credit card x number of times.  The first lady put me on hold and
then...disconnected me after fifteen minutes.  The second fellow said that he
had all the data on his screen, but couldn't see why I hadn't been sent a $25
card.  I said I'd keep opening mail until he found out.  Thirty minutes later
we were no further ahead.  A file had been opened by the backroom persons and I
could expect to hear soon.  Would, I asked, that be by phone call, mail, some
other medium?  He wasn't sure.  By this time I couldn't be bothered to wait for
the questionnaire to tell them exactly, on a scale of one to five, how close
they'd come to achieving customer satisfaction.

I wish I could tell you I cleaned the house from top to bottom.  I merely
managed what I could, which included removing oily rags from the painting
studio in case they had a mind to combust spontaneously, and generally
compressing my spine with bits of lifting, which tends to make a man grumpy and
is not the ideal precursor to a journey.

Yoga will be performed, possibly in the backroom.

Wensleydale seems to be doing better.  The next Sunday missive may be from a
different continent.  Or not.  Depends whether or not planes and pilots still
know where Belgium and Europe are.  The house-sitter does.  I bet said
personage will be able find the airport without even having to "open a file."

Do carry on while I'm gone.

David Ritchie,
Portland, Oregon