[lit-ideas] Re: Burning the American Flag and the Koran

  • From: Mike Geary <jejunejesuit.geary2@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2010 19:44:15 -0500

LAWRENCE::
"As I read Lane's article I wondered about those who brought the right to
burn the American Flag before the Supreme Court. The decision giving them
that right was handed down in 1989 so many associated with that case are
probably still alive. I wonder what they think about a Jones' case if one
should be brought . . . of course things are different now. The Leftists
back in 1989 wanted the right to burn the American flag. Now they (if they
are running true to form) want to shut Terry Jones up. They are on the other
side. They want to censor Terry Jones. They want to take his right away from
him even though 20 years earlier they wanted that right for themselves. They
wanted it so badly that they went to court to get it, and they aren't the
only ones burning American flags."

MOI:  Astonishing, Lawrence.  You've written many an astonishing comment,
but this one takes the cake.   Tell me what Liberals or Leftists want to
shut Terry Jones up.  Name them.  We (Lib-Lefts) WANT Terry Jones to shut
up.  He's a ignorant little self-aggrandizing creep, a charlatan, likely
sociopyschopath, but no one I know, wanted or wants the  state to step in
and keep Jones from burning Korans.  To the contrary, Lib-Lefts support his
right.  What we object to is his stupidity, his arrogance, his lack of
concern for the consequences of his behavior. The shouts went up: "Don't do
this, you asshole!"  But no one called for sending in the Marines because we
believe he has the Constitutional right to burn them in protest just as the
Muslims have the Constitutional right to build a mosque where they met the
laws and regulations that every one else must meet.. As to burning the
American flag, why the hell not?  How should you dispose of unserviceable
flags. The only definitive answer is found in the US Flag Code. TITLE 4 >
CHAPTER 1 > Sec. 8(k). It states:

*"The flag, when it is in such condition that it is no longer a fitting
emblem for display, should be destroyed in a dignified way, preferably by
burning"*

But of course there's all the difference in the world between burning a flag
to demonstrate one's rage at the policies of the country and burning a flag
to dispose of it in a dignified way.  But I believe it's better to burn
flags than politicians -- most of the time -- I think.  There's nothing
sacred about a flag.  An emblem is not the thing it symbolizes.   One of the
things that the American flag symbolizes is the right to burn it as a
protest.  If it's permitted to burn a person in effigy, surely it's OK to
burn a mere flag in protest.

**

Mike Geary
Memphis