[lit-ideas] Buridan, Sophisma XIII -- Summa Logicae (Latin)

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 25 Nov 2007 20:16:27 EST

Yost:

>It's my misconstrual of Buridan's thirteenth
>sophism.

>"I know this: 'p & ~p' is false."

>"Ergo, "I know this: 'p & ~p' is false" cannot be true or false.  For

>If  "I know this: 'p & ~p' is false" is true, a  sentence conatining the
predicate 'false' would
  be known.
>If "I know this: 'p & ~p is false' " is false, it is not  the case that I
know this: 'p & ~p' is false"
>And Ergo, "It is the  case that I know this: 'p & ~p' is false" and "It is
not the case that I  know this: 'p & ~p' is false" would be equivalent.
>Ergo, "I know this: 'p & ~p' is false" is not a proposition.

Perhaps Yost may be able to find the original Latin sophisma. There is a  pdf
document that mentions TWO sections of sophisma, and I counted two different
series of first, second, third. I understand the critical edition is by
Scott,  but not online apparently.

Cheers,

J. L.

products.