[lit-ideas] Re: Brits do it better

  • From: Eric Yost <eyost1132@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2006 23:08:03 -0400

Irene: who's going to rebuild the country in cases of natural disaster?

I'll rebuild my part of the country, but it will be tough work. Rebuilding is definitely tough. Last month, I cleared about 3600 square feet of vines using a sickle and a machete. It took several days. Lots of aching muscles and awkward callosities there, but that was the easy part. Then I had to reset three, thirty-foot rock walls into a hill, and reset a series of stone steps up to the orchard. It took about a week. Masonry work followed: I rebuilt rain gutters, and made a series of brick flowerbeds all over the hillside. You'd think that would be enough and I could congratulate myself and go watch TV. But no! I had to restore the orchard, and that meant clearing trees, mowing, pruning, spraying, demolishing an old shed with a sledgehammer, and move a--gosh, it must have been solid cast iron!--bench to the front of the orchard and level it into place.

Then when I'm getting ready to kick back and write bucolics, Hilly the Bear makes his bad castle in the old rhubarb patch. Yeah rebuilding is tough.

When we do rebuild the country, I would use a lot more blue paint and lay more railroad tracks. Maybe also stop signs should be black with yellow lettering. And definitely change those School Zone signs: right now they show two stick figures, one large and one small, standing way too close together; it looks like a sign meaning "Warning Child Molester." Whaddya think?