[lit-ideas] Re: Brazilian Medicine

  • From: Eric <eyost1132@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 01 Apr 2006 16:27:06 -0500

>>I don't know why that would make a big difference. After a few years of
practice any advantages should level out.

No, it does. If you learn piano earlier, you play with more facility than if you learn later in life.

>>It seems the Americans should be streaming to Brazil.

They DO ... for things like plastic surgery, internal ear reconstruction, heart transplants, microsurgeries, and opthalmologic surgery.

>>'Medical guidelines' sounds like another way of saying the system is more
straightforward, less bribery.

Medical guidelines are no-brainer, CYA procedures that prevent doctors from being sued. They are updated every couple years. It's auto-pilot for physicians.

Now in medicine, doctors refer to "art." Medical "art" is the holistic (rational-intuitive) use of a physician's cumulative clinical experience and judgment. Brilliant doctors tend to use more "art." If you want an example of pure (if unrealistic) "medical art," look at the TV show "House."

*Having medical guidelines means that physicians are free to practice "medical art" while also being protected from malpractice.

*Medical guidelines also mean that if you don't have a brilliant doctor, but instead have a dolt-doctor or moron-doctor, you will be receiving a minimal standard of care. Since 10 percent of all US doctors (and a greater percentage of foreign doctors) are moron- or dolt-doctors, guidelines save lives.