[lit-ideas] Re: Boxing Day Poem

  • From: David Ritchie <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 26 Dec 2006 23:55:38 -0800

I am at the peak of my riches I think. In addition to a bit to drink I have, no "have" is not the right word; in my life, but beyond my control, three women live, also one dog, three cats, a good many fish.

Of course I can command the dog, whose food I own, and whose master I clearly am, and on the same but diminished principle, and with less impressive effect, I control some cats, some themes in the lives of one or two daughters, a few fish.

Mostly I serve and fix things, take out rubbish and recyclables, cook, suggest reading lists, think, fix essays, tell some people where the end of the garage really is.

Beyond this, I predict, like an iceberg-rich ocean, old age lies, which none of us probably looks forward to.

David Ritchie,
Portland, Oregon