[lit-ideas] Re: Borges's "South"

  • From: "Lawrence Helm" <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2007 10:40:21 -0800

Well, I enjoyed the story and laughed out loud at several points.  Maybe I
wouldn’t enjoy a story which made equal fun of the American cowboy.

I haven’t read Borges’ “The South” but I’m reminded a bit of Conrad’s The Heart
of Darkness – Heart of Darkness-lite, perhaps.   It took Pereda three years or
so to become a knife-wielding gaucho looking for trouble.  If I were to look at
Pereda seriously, which is difficult, I would feel uncomfortable at his
aimlessness.  He falls asleep and wakes on his horse someplace decrepit and
rundown with not even a windmill to tilt at – only rabbits to hunt in order to
survive, and survive for what?  His children don’t need him.  He resigned from
society; so there is no point in his staying in Buenos Aires; so he may as well
return to his gauchos who put up with him and never complain – and what after
all is there to complain about?  Not getting paid?  What do they need money for
as long as they can eat rabbits?

Or could we say something like Orhan Pamuk did in Snow, “the rooms were so dark
he could barely make out the shape of the furniture, so when he was compelled
to look at the snow outside, it blinded him – it was as if a curtain of tulle
had fallen before his eyes, as if he had retreated into the silence of snow to
escape from these stories of misery and poverty.”  Perhaps a serious Pereda
would see his return to Capitan Jourdan as such an escape.

Lawrence