[lit-ideas] Borges's Gaffe

  • From: jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 13 Jan 2008 20:25:24 -0500

I was reading Apollodorus' Bibliotheke and come across a sort of a gaffe in the
oeuvre of J. L. Borges.

Borges has this short story, "The House of Asterion" (in Penguin, Labrynths),
which, he claims in the Foreword, he found
inspiration for in 'an oil painting by Watts' --. He fails to say it's a
representation (Rortian almost) of the minotaur. So far so good, as Borges is
always _playing_ (ludic).

But then he goes on to quote as epigraph this quote from the Bibliotheke,

          "and she gave birth to Asterios".

-- the Greek reads. Actually, it's accusative 'Asterion'. Frazer's translation
is the Latinate "Asterius". Modern Italian or Spanish would be "Asterio".

In any case, the translation Borges was working with -- a copy of which I found
in the National Library of Buenos Aires -- was not Loeb's, but a Spanish one
that I seem to remember as going,

       "y la reina dio a luz a un hijo, al que llamo Asterión."

As I remember it, it was a bad, soft-cover, cheap Spanish translation of the
classic, and I wonder if the gaffe could be ascribed to the cheap Spanish
translator (They say "Platón", and not Plato in Spanish, but the case is not
analogical, since it _is_ Platon in Greek, if not Latin).

When the story by Borges was translated into English -- only after the French
version received the Fomentor prize shared with Samuel Beckett --, the
translator could have rightened things up by rendering the story as "The House
of Asterius" (or "Asterion", if you must). Instead, as I recall, it is kept as
"The House of Asterion". But Asterion is an accusative, never a nominative.

Tough titties, as my Ligurian grandfather would say!

Cheers,

J. L. Speranza
        Translator of "Traitor"

http://webmail.aol.com