[lit-ideas] Borges and Speranza

  • From: Lawrence Helm <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Lit-Ideas <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 23 Nov 2015 07:22:18 -0800

In reading /Jorge Luis Borges Conversations /[with]/Osvaldo Ferrari/ I ran across the following exchange:

*Ferrari*. I think that while your memory and imagination transcend Argentina and soar to different latitudes – the history and mythology of other countries and races – the style in which you narrate your stories is a particularly sober one, peculiar to the Argentinian spirit

*Borges*. Yes, I’d say that the difference, or one of the differences, between the Spanish of Spain and the Spanish of Buenos Aires or Montevideo is that Spaniards tend to use interjections, exclamations. We speak, say things, explain, but we do not agree or disagree like the Spaniards. Spanish conversation is full of interjections. Ours is not – ours is a conversation in a more lowered voice.

Borges description struck me as fitting Speranza. Years ago Speranza and I were being attacked. I can’t recall whether it was on Phil-Lit or Lit-Ideas, but he was being attacked for writing too many notes and I was being attacked for writing notes that were too long. We got together off line and discussed the matter. My inclination, being much younger is those days, was to “kill them all” -- metaphorically of course. His was not, and I hadn’t been able to put a name to what his inclination was until I read the Borges’ “conversation in a more lowered voice.”

I’ll have to give that some more thought, but I can’t recall Speranza ever arguing with anyone, and if it weren’t’ for his regularly exceeding the three note limit we might want to call him Saint Speranza. In my case I learned not to have my notes rejected by the software program by using Rich Text rather than HTML. Those who objected to their length have perhaps all died. I remember one particularly (verbally) violent person who thought I cut and pasted my long notes, offending me by severely underestimating my typing ability. Besides, the books I quoted from weren’t digitized so cutting and pasting wasn’t even an option. And in me, I suppose, we have an example of someone who is much closer to the Spanish than the Argentine.

Lawrence