[lit-ideas] Re: Books that bite and sting...

  • From: Ursula Stange <Ursula@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 08 Jun 2008 15:58:01 -0400

When you preach to the choir, you only get Amen's in return. And Lit-Ideas rules don't allow them.

As to Berman's book, I haven't read it, but suspect that I, too, would find it world-view affirming. And, yes, that's comforting. And, yes, we all do it. I don't quite get the negative-identity thing, though. Canada is big on 'negative-identity', but of a different sort (kinder and gentler, don't you know). We're no longer British and we're sure not American. But that's usually as far as it goes. When I first came to Canada (back in '68) there was a whole lot of navel-gazing going on. Weighty questions like why Canada didn't have a national mythology (like the U.S.) were debated on the national airwaves and even the odd pub. Then we got busy and forgot about it all.
Heavier fare next time...
U.S. in Canada

Andy wrote:

I'm not sure that I was talking about the people on this list. I really don't know what they read because other than Paul, people on this list don't really say what they read or watch or listen to (other than hard core philosophy). You also missed the third sentence of my rant, "...I'm doing that right > now. [I.e, reading a book I agree with, although I said that I had visited conservative sites and they consist of virtual reality, nothing factual at all, so they're not worth reading.] I was hoping that someone would have responded to the issues I raised. Lighter fare next time I guess.