[lit-ideas] Re: Books that bite and sting...

  • From: Andy <mimi.erva@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 8 Jun 2008 13:44:48 -0700 (PDT)

Negative identity as Berman explains it is not having one's own identity and
therefore needing to define one's (in this case collective ) sense of self by
being the opposite of someone or something else.&nbsp; It's apparently
Hegelian.&nbsp; It's the reason we *needed* a cold war with the SU, which is to
say, without them we didn't know who we were.&nbsp;&nbsp;(The movie with Matt
Damon The Good Shepherd explains the CIA's existence that way although at the
time I saw&nbsp;The Good Shepherd&nbsp;I didn't think of it in those
terms.)&nbsp; During the cold war we were anti-communists, we had a huge
industrial military complex (what else do you do with a huge industrial
military complex?), etc.&nbsp; And in fact, when the SU fell apart, we evolved
the War on Terror&nbsp;which contrary to popular belief did&nbsp;*not* spring
full blown out of the head of Zeus.&nbsp; Although as I write this I wonder if
Berman isn't being generous and saying negative identity
 because it's a lot nicer than a positive identity of a bunch of war
mongers.&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;One of the Kagan brothers, Fred I think wrote the
book Dangerous Nation along these lines, which I agree with of course and which
I've thought about reading.