[lit-ideas] Re: Bond

  • From: david ritchie <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 14 Jan 2006 16:11:31 -0800

On Jan 14, 2006, at 2:57 PM, Stan Spiegel wrote:

I just saw Pierce Brosnan playing Bond in "Tomorrow Never Dies." My wife has gone for the weekend and I was able to watch whatever I wanted. And while I enjoyed it, Brosnan is a diminutive version of Sean Connery. Connery really comes across as both sexy and dangerous. He has presence. I wouldn't want to mess with him.

Ah yes, the "my wife's gone for the weekend we can watch different kinds of movies" syndrome. Luckily I raised the two girls to be fond of Bond movies, so hereabouts the Bond fans outnumber the doubters. But when it comes to movies that have anything to do with war, I'm usually on my own. No amount of, "But this is an anti-war, war movie" will develop a quorum. The recent exception to this far- reaching and really rather awkward rule--one of the things people pay me for, after all, is to know stuff about military history--was "The Last of the Mohicans," which squeezed by under the little known, "But Eddie Izzard parodied it" clause.

As for "From Russia with Love," two impressions linger: Connery's eyebrows seem to grow longer and shorter from scene to scene; and the Russians and the Brits in Constantinople play a live and let live game, which reminds me more of John Le Carre or Graham Greene than what passes for plot in later Bond movies.

I like Brosnan.

David Ritchie
Portland, Oregon