[lit-ideas] Re: Bombing Osirik in 1981

  • From: Robert Paul <rpaul@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2006 11:15:33 -0700

Lawrence wrote:

You seem to be missing the reason for my question, which is simplistic I'll
admit, but not for the reason you imply.  I wouldn't mind changing it to
"The NYTimes, Reagan & a whole bunch of other people condemned the bombing
of Osirik.  Do you, O Lit-Idears, agree with those who condemned the bombing
of Osirik?"

First of all, it's Osirak (or Osiraq). But your question makes no sense. Do we agree (now) with those who condemned the bombing (then)? Is that the question? If so, it's meaningless. Would we have agreed then, i.e., at the time, with those who condemned it? I have no idea. I was no doubt aware of the raid but I did not, I admit, follow the the story closely.

I suspect that you're trying to ask whether, given what we now know about our former ally, we would say (now) that it was a good thing to have done (even though that was not clear at the time). But I don't know really what you have in mind in asking this question now.

What, may I ask, was your purpose in asking this?

Robert Paul
reed.edu