[lit-ideas] Re: Bob Dylan - A Poet?

  • From: "Andy Amago" <aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2005 23:58:54 -0400

Putting an ocean between countries hasn't stopped invasion; the Spanish
Armada invaded England, English pirates terrorized the seas in Elizabeth
I's time.  Before them there were Vikings and other barbarians who traveled
huge distances conquering or marauding.  Likewise the huge distances
between England, France, Belgium and their colonies.  Napoleon, slavery,
the American Revolution and so on.  I tend to think scarcer resources don't
make for happy campers, so war might be more of a problem rather than less.
While I'm not a big fan of multiculturalism per se, by the second or third
generation, most people are pretty assimilated.  I suspect we'll be about
as happy as they were in the 19th century.  Isolation tends to breed
dysfunction, case in point, the sects in Utah who believe in plural
marriage of basically children are very isolated.

Regarding the UN, I think an organization such as the UN is the way to
reduce problems.  Not starting wars on trumped up charges is a step in the
right direction too.  The UN isn't a government.  It's just a place where
countries hash out problems.  The U.S. is the one who behaved arrogantly
and did what it wanted in opposition to the UN,  as a result boosting
Islamist jihad way up.