[lit-ideas] "Bless you": a performative?

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 5 Aug 2004 22:40:12 EDT

In a message dated 8/5/2004 1:29:05 PM Eastern Standard Time,
JulieReneB@xxxxxxx writes:
You  really wouldn't take well to Judaism, Mike.  Half the prayer   service
consists of sentences which begin with "Baruch atah adonai,  eloheinu  melek
ha-olam" (Blessed are you Lord our God, Master of the  Universe....).   When
you eat
bread you say "Blessed are you  Lord our God Master of the Universe  who
brings forth bread from the  earth" -- when you do *anything* you bless God
first.
Prayers  are interspersed frequently with "Baruch HaShem" (blessed  is the
Name (of God)).  Interesting, the emphasis in Christianity on  God  blessing
people and the emphasis in Judaism on people blessing  God.   Actually I
think it's
more an acknowledgement -- "I  recognize that you are a  Blessed One"....but
that's not how much  rabbinic commentary talks about  it.  I read a piece on
the
blessing of God in Judaism by Heschel, I think,  once, (or maybe  Kaplan?)

----

While the OED recognises 'bless' as originally 'heathen', there's this note
which connects the word to the Hebrew tradition:

'to bless"

"To make â??sacredâ?? or â??holyâ?? with blood;

       to consecrate by some sacrificial rite  which
       was held to render a thing inviolable  from profane
      use of men and evil influence of men or  demons.

      "The streaking of the lintel and doorposts  with blood,

                 Exodus xii. 23,

      to mark them as holy to the Lord and  inviolable by the
     destroying angel, was apparently the kind of idea  expressed
     by [English bloedsian] in pre-christian times.

----- So, there may be an element of 'pre-Christian' cognate with  'Hebrew'?

      "Cf. also the history of the Latin words
      'consecrare' and 'sacrificium'.

---- I haven't been able to check this. But 'consecrare' seems to really
have (if you excuse the split infinitive) the root for 'sangue', blood?

Cheers,

JL