[lit-ideas] Re: "Bless You" (Was: Sneeze)

  • From: Paul Stone <pas@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2004 13:08:26 -0400

At 12:55 PM 7/30/2004, you wrote:
> > Looking at the sun always causes one to sneeze.  I'd like a  physiological
> > explanation of this, please.
>
>Another unsolved riddle problem in physics: Tap a dog on the nose and
>he'll sneeze.

It's not really unsovlved. It's called "Photic Sneezing" AKA "ACHOO --
Autosomal Compelling Helio-Ophthalmic Outburst".

It is genetic and it only affects less than half of the population. My
father does it, my sister and I both do it, but not my mother. I can even
do it by looking at a fluorescent bulb (only when it's on). I do it all the
time because hey, there aren't too many better things than a sneeze.

looking into the light,
paul

Paul Stone
pas@xxxxxxxx