[lit-ideas] Re: Blair (& Bush?): hoisted on a fork?

  • From: Judy Evans <judithevans001@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 18 Jul 2004 02:16:36 +0100

Saturday, July 17, 2004, 11:28:22 PM, Stephen Straker wrote:

SS> Here's an interesting twist I haven't seen brought up before. According
SS> to Andrew Brown, Tony Blair wasn't just told Saddam had WMDs;
SS> intelligence also told him that Saddam intended to use them. That makes
SS> Blair's judgment as dubious as his credulity, and his conduct rash &
SS> dangerous. Bush too?

we need to ask why, if Brown's analysis is correct,

1. the Govt made Intelligence sex-up the dodgy dossier -- (insert
and?) reword the 45-minute claim

(the BBC has been totally exonerated by Butler's Report, though he
does not say so)

and

2.  the Govt suppressed the Intelligence that said Saddam had, at
most, battlefield WMDs.

Brown says

>Lord Butler quotes from the Joint Intelligence Committee summary from
>which the notorious dossier of September 2002 was prepared: "Iraq has
>a chemical and biological weapons capability and Saddam is prepared
>to use it. Faced with the likelihood of military defeat and being
>removed from power, Saddam is unlikely to be deterred from using
>chemical and biological weapons by any diplomatic or military means."

>"Intelligence indicates that Saddam has identified Bahrain, Jordan,
>Qatar, Israel, Kuwait as targets. Turkey could also be at risk. ...
>Saddam is prepared to order missile strikes against Israel, with
>chemical or biological warheads, in order to widen the war once
>hostilities begin."

but this was "raw intelligence".

--
 Judy Evans, Cardiff, UK