[lit-ideas] Re: Bizarre Faith

  • From: JimKandJulieB@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 4 Nov 2004 12:19:35 EST

If there aren't religions to choose from, people develope them.  A way  of
explaining the mysterious and frightening.  Religion, I think, is our  attempt
to tell ourselves a story to make sense out of things, like a Mother  tells her
child a story at night wherein the bad guys lose and the good guys  win, to
help the child to feel all will be well.  A kid's plea for a story  at night
comes from the same place in us that desires explanations for death and  pain
and everything else we grapple with that's bigger than us.  If there's  no ....
rhyme or reason, system, set of rules or way we can appease the powers  or
attempt to sway them....  we are too loosely flung in the  universe.  We
psychologically need a tether.  We are powerless over  certain things --
natural
disaster, disease, death.  If there can be some  power greater than us that
*does*
have power over what we are powerless over, we  want to know about it and
petition aid or attempt to sway the forces that be in  our interests.  I love
the
way two books approach this -- Joseph  Campbell's "Power of Myth" and "Why God
Won't Go Away:  Brain Science &  the Biology of Belief" by Newberg & D'Aquili
(I've mentioned it here before,  but don't know if anyone else here has read
it -- I thought it quite  fascinating).

Julie Krueger
inbetween tethers
========Original  Message========     Subj: [lit-ideas] Bizarre Faith  Date:
11/4/04 10:12:30 AM Central Standard Time  From: _pas@xxxxxxxxx
(mailto:pas@xxxxxxxx)   To: _lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
(mailto:lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx)
Sent on:
Can anyone tell me WHY they are  religious?

Other than: "I was taught to be"

Really wanting to know  why ANYONE would "choose" religion.

Paul

Paul  Stone
pas@xxxxxxxx
Kingsville, ON, Canada