[lit-ideas] Re: Bishop Berkeley and the Tree Falls Project

  • From: Eric Yost <NYCEric@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 09 Nov 2004 16:58:44 -0500

  if a group of people moan about how awful a piece of art is, does this
bring the art into existence?  Can one make art out of whines?

I wrote a novel in which a character is pursued by Warner Sallman's
"Head of Christ" painting. You know that piece right? The single most
popular work of art in the 20th century? The Sunday School Jesus?

IN revenge, this character creates a series of "angry Jesus" paintings,
some of which were:

Jesus Driving out the Moneychangers
Portrait of Jesus Punching the Painter
Jesus of the Traffic Jam
Jesus at the Laundromat
Saloon Brawl Jesus
Still Life of Jesus with Fruit

There were truly awful paintings. I am certain they are real because I
have imagined them. Okay, okay, send me to Gitmo now.