[lit-ideas] Re: Binster Gets Nod for Big Boom

  • From: Eric Yost <eyost1132@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Lit-Ideas <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 05 Jan 2006 20:31:11 -0500

Semul the Barbarian
The Law Firm of Semul, Laknar, and Frisch
14 Legal Beltway
Saginaw, MI

Andreas Ramos
Extropian Seminar Center
Waldorf, CA

Dear Mr. Ramos:

Re: [lit-ideas] Binster Gets Nod for Big Boom

It was with hilarity bordering on amusement that we reviewed your recent
lit-ideas encyclical, or should I say, your clever use of the "heart of darkness" defense.

"ARRRRRRRRR," you argued.

Pressed to defend your ambiguous use of terms of highly privileged dissent, you replied, "Here come the darkies!"

While it is not the intention or indeed the policy of this law firm to engage in politics or controversy---especially as we are a hunted people scavenging like jackals beyond the outposts of civilization---it is incumbent on us as executors of the estate of Huss the Hirsute to notify you of an glaring factual error in your recent post. "ARRRRRRRRRRR," as you wrote it, raised more than a few single-eyebrows on battle-scarred faces here. There was a spontaneous grasping for the eight-sided war mace here.

"ARRRRRRRRRRR" is of course, the registered battle-cry of a gathering of savage peoples represented by this firm. Many of these savage peoples---including a number of Ostrogoth lawyers and savage paralegal professionals---are less fortunate members of our society for whom maintaining a consistent permissions department is part of the long and tortuous burden of adjustment, happily delegated to this corporation.

In future, Mr. Ramos, please restrict your use of spurious battle-cries to the generic, "Aiyeeeee!" This is our standard request for nonpermissioned use of our cry. We are very sensitive about it.

Again, let me tell you how unusual it was to read your "ARRRRRRRRRRR." There was something savage in it, perhaps some of that primitive nobility Emerson adverted to, or maybe you just had far too many Jolt Colas. Our shamans cannot discern this. From shame, we shall behead a young oxen in somber ritual, roast it, feast upon it, and drink its hot blood in homage to our battle gods. Our cries shall echo far into the dark beyond our encampment.

Somewhat cordially yours,