[lit-ideas] Re: Bill Clinton & computers

  • From: Judy Evans <judithevans001@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 4 Sep 2004 20:44:44 +0100

Saturday, September 4, 2004, 3:29:00 PM, JimKandJulieB@xxxxxxx wrote:

Jac> pretty badly at the hands of brutal Russian regimes.  The whole
Jac> thing is awful.  I know it's been splashed about on the news
Jac> pages, but what I meant is no one seems to be talking about it --
Jac> at least where I live -- in the grocery, or even on lists.
Jac> Perhaps it's just that there's nothing much one can say.

I am a little surprised it hasn't come up on lists.

Jac>  On
Jac> another note, I find myself in the market for a new computer.
Jac> What's you folks' experience re. best processors these days?  I
Jac> know what kind of RAM and fixed disk size I require to keep me
Jac> happy.

I still stick to Intel, and I would not get the latest "best" thing,
get a P4! How fast, depends on your software; but my new-ish P4 2.4
really flies!

Most people whose computers I hear about do have more powerful ones
than mine (speech software requires a fair amount of power); and they
tend to have at least 1g of ram (512 is OK for me).  If you use an
elephant like Paint Shop Pro, you probably do need something a but
faster than my "old" one (P3 650).

People are going on about the Athlon 64 bit.  I don't know...

--   Judy Evans, Cardiff, UK    mailto:judithevans001@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx