[lit-ideas] Re: Bible Belt Buckles

  • From: Andy Amago <aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 4 Aug 2004 16:56:52 -0700 (PDT)

-----Original Message-----
From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
Sent: Aug 4, 2004 7:02 AM
To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [lit-ideas] Re: Bible Belt Buckles

Okay. I was confused -- but no longer.

A.A.  Now I'm confused.

J.L.  In a previous note, it was suggested that perhaps "God bless you", as a
reply to "Atchoo" had originated with Pope Gregory the Great:

_http://www.straightdope.com/mailbag/mgesundheit.html_
(http://www.straightdope.com/mailbag/mgesundheit.html)

    Pope Gregory the Great (540-604 AD) ascended to the
    Papacy just in time for the start of the plague
    (his successor succumbed to it). Gregory (who also
    invented the ever-popular Gregorian chant) called for
    litanies, processions and unceasing prayer

A.A.  I had never heard that the plague started in 540, only that it hit Europe
in the 1300's.  I wonder if it was the same plague.  I will have to do some
work on this.

Andy Amago

Cheers,

JL