[lit-ideas] Re: Bible Belt Buckles

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 4 Aug 2004 10:42:23 EDT

In a message dated 8/4/2004 2:56:30 AM Eastern Standard Time,
atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
I am, as  most of you know, a Biblebelter.  I've lived among Biblebelters  for
more than half a century.  They're friendly people,  Biblebelters.
-----

Some quotes from the OED below. Apparently, no quote for 'biblebelter'
(_mailto:oed3@xxxxxxxxxx (mailto:oed3@xxxxxxxxx) ).

Cheers,

JL

----

Bible  belt, a designation of those parts  of the United States reputed to be
fanatically puritan or  fundamentalist

Cites

1926  Amer. Mercury Feb. 141/2 The  Baptist Record, of Jackson, Miss., [is]
in the heart of the *Bible and  Lynching Belt. 1926 _S.  LEWIS_
(http://0-dictionary.oed.com.csulib.ctstateu.edu/help/bib/oed2-l.html#s-lewis)
in G. Frankau
My Unsent. Journey  xi. 148 I'm collecting parsons, Gilbert... That's why
I've been  living in Kansas City. It's the centre of the Bible belt. 1960 20th
Cent. Dec. 558 Nashville  is..the Bible Belt  capital.