[lit-ideas] Re: Between the Esophagus and the Duodenum

  • From: Donal McEvoy <donalmcevoyuk@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 5 Jun 2014 22:18:59 +0100 (BST)

>The first Griceian cartoon strip in today's newspaper>
>The second Griceian cartoon strip in today's newspaper>
>The third Griceian cartoon strip in today's newspaper>

Am I right then in thinking that a Griceian cartoon is one where they have
entirely removed the cartoon and put everything in word-form? (Or is that a
Griceian, or Gricean, mistake on my part?)

Dnl
Btw, Garfield is definitely more Popperian than Griceian, though I've no idea
why - or why anyone should believe this anymore than believe the analysis of
cartoon humour gives rise to something specifically Griceian

On Thursday, 5 June 2014, 21:53, "dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx"
<dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

The third Griceian cartoon strip in today's newspaper is "GARFIELD".

First Square:

Cat Owner looks at empty fish bowl.

Second Square:

Cat Owner to Cat: Garfield, where is my fish?

Third Square:

Cat (thinking): By now? Somewhere between the esophagus and the
duodenum.

---

Griceian explanation:

"Where's my fish?" is almost a rhetorical question.

Garfield takes it literally. This is a bit like a Griceian misunderstanding
in today's "Dustin" comic strip ("Reserved parking for shoppers with children")
and it seems, all'Attalardo, that Grice was a literalist (as was Austin), and
humour exploits this.

"Exploit" was one of Grice's favourite verbs -- as 'otiose' was one of his
favourite (if not HIS favourite) adjective.

Cheers,

Speranza