[lit-ideas] Between the Esophagus and the Duodenum

  • From: "" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx" for DMARC)
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 5 Jun 2014 16:52:38 -0400 (EDT)

The third Griceian cartoon strip in today's newspaper is "GARFIELD".

First Square:

Cat Owner looks at empty fish bowl.

Second Square:

Cat Owner to Cat: Garfield, where is my fish?

Third Square:

Cat (thinking): By now? Somewhere between the esophagus and the  duodenum.

---

Griceian explanation:

"Where's my fish?" is almost a rhetorical question.

Garfield takes it literally. This is a bit like a Griceian misunderstanding
 in today's "Dustin" comic strip ("Reserved parking for shoppers with
children")  and it seems, all'Attalardo, that Grice was a literalist (as was
Austin), and  humour exploits this.

"Exploit" was one of Grice's favourite verbs -- as 'otiose' was one of his
favourite (if not HIS favourite) adjective.

Cheers,

Speranza