[lit-ideas] Re: Better to have had faith

  • From: "Andy Amago" <aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "lit-ideas" <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 21 May 2005 11:23:49 -0400

My Catholic-raised nephew who found Christ about 15 years ago (my nephew is
now in his 40's) is studying to be a born again preacher.  I learned about
it at one family gathering some time ago in which he related to me his
inexpressible joy and peace at having found Christ.  It was, to him, truly
as though he had shed his past life and was complete in Christ.  Unlike
Bush, my nephew was never an alcoholic or substance abuser; he was
introduced to Christ through his wife.  Listening to him relate the
experience of the day he was born again has to be like listening to a drug
addict describe his first shot.  (I admit all my information regarding drug
addiction is from literary sources).

Marlena as a recovering born again might help shed some light here;
specifically, I have gathered from Nicky's experience that religion does
severely taint perception.  Nicky has withdrawn into the Christian world.
He and his wife home school their kids because they don't want the girls
contaminated by non-Christian ideas.  He also sold his business to fund his
aspirations to be a preacher.   He is no longer in the world as he once
knew it.

The high has worn off for him but Nicky seems content with his calling.
Being born again has given Nicky meaning to his life.  It gives him a
reason to get up every morning.  He has gone seemingly from heroin to
opium.  To his credit, he hasn't tried to convert me.

I would be interested in Marlena's take as a former religious person on
Nicky's vicarious experience as related above.  Am I overstating the case
comparing Nicky's conversion to heroin?

Andy Amago