[lit-ideas] Better to have had faith

  • From: Eternitytime1@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 19 May 2005 23:49:24 EDT

This was found somewhere today.  I do not recall, exactly, where--but  seemed
like it was getting close.  Not close enough for Paul, but close for  those
who thought it was better to have had faith and lost it then never to have  had
it at all.

Or was that something else...

Losing your religion
The experience of losing your faith, or of having lost it, is an  experience
that in the long run belongs to faith; or at least it can belong to  faith if
faith is still valuable to you, and it must be or you would not have  written
me about this. I don't know how the kind of faith required
of a  Christian living in the 20th century can be at all if it is not
grounded on this  experience that you are having right now of unbelief. "Lord,
believe; help my  unbelief" is the most natural and most human and most
agonizing
prayer in the  gospels, and I think it is the foundation prayer of faith.
-  Flannery O'Connor

Thinking, still, of "faith",
Marlena in Missouri
(still wondering where Eric is--did he go to Star Wars, too, but end up in
The Dark Side?)