[lit-ideas] Re: Bet you didn't know Stanislav saved theworld...

  • From: Andy Amago <aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 23 May 2004 08:16:25 -0400 (GMT-04:00)

-----Original Message-----
From: Carol Kirschenbaum <carolkir@xxxxxxxx>
Sent: May 22, 2004 5:07 PM
To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [lit-ideas] Re: Bet you didn't know Stanislav saved the world...

Andy, where did you see/read this McNamara/Kennedy anecdote? Would have been
powerful if McN had said it to Errol Morris in _Fog of War_. Would either
Morris or McN censor themselves and *not* use such a juicy anecdote in such
a relevant context? So I'm curious about the source.
Carol

A.A.  The source is in my first sentence, the good old History Channel.  Back
in November, around the anniversary of Kennedy's assassination, the History
Channel (truly, one of the few things on television worth watching, although
tiresome at times with all the war/torture, etc. stories) did a whole slew of
Kennedy related stories.   Yes, certainly, we dropped the A-bombs on Japan, and
the effect was evident, but I think their point was that nuclear war, as in
using nuclear weapons vs. conventional weapons, was virgin territory, even for
the military.  The PSA's promoting duck and cover as the way to protect one's
self during a nuclear attack were precisely because the military was playing
out a conventional war scheme with nuclear weapons.  The Kennedy/McNamara
meeting was classified.  The HC made the point that one-on-one meetings were
rare, and this was important enough to merit a one-on-one.

I find the HC is brutally honest in their coverage, whatever their topic.  They
paint the U.S. for what it is: sometimes good, often meddlesome and
destructive, and just as often downright stupid.  Many things that are
no-brainers in retrospect are not so easy to see in the moment.  They debunk
what becomes modern day myth, such as the good old days of the 1950's; the
Kennedy mystique; etc.  (Did you know, BTW, that "spring break" is life
imitating art, when kids quite literally imitated the beach movies of the 60's,
which then turned into the "spring break" phenomenon?  Or that the need for a
daily shower was invented by, yes, the plumbing trade groups to promote wider
use of their products in the 30's or 40's I believe it was.  But that of course
is off the subject.)

In any case, I suggest that you email the HC or visit their web site and
perhaps they can direct you to an archive of this story, or periodically check
their listings to see when it will be repeated.  I suspect November would again
be a good time to catch it.  Any questions regarding veracity of content would
best be taken up with the editorial staff of the History Channel itself.

Regarding _Fog of War_, that thread pre-dated me and don't know what your
reference is about.

Andy Amago