[lit-ideas] Re: Bet you didn't know Stanislav saved the world...

  • From: Andy Amago <aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 22 May 2004 08:55:45 -0400 (GMT-04:00)

According to the good old History Channel, the Soviet Union was instrumental in
avoiding nuclear war several times, going right back to the standoff between
Kennedy and Kruschev.  The American military had been sporting for a fight, but
Kennedy had the wherewithal, after the Bay of Pigs, to not take their advice.
At the time, nuclear weaponry was relatively new, and few people, even in the
Pentagon, knew the true extent of its power (sounds amazing, doesn't it?).
Hence the advice by the government to duck and cover, as if covering one's head
under a desk would prevent incineration.  No one, including Secretary of
Defense McNamara, knew how nuclear weapons compared to conventional weapons.

In a trip by McNamara to the Soviet Union, the Russians essentially made clear
to him what nuclear war meant.  He returned from the trip, and in a private
one-on-one meeting with John Kennedy (one-on-ones with the President virtually
never happened) told Kennedy that no matter what the Russians do, not matter
what, whether it be invade France, invade Germany, no matter what they do, do
not, under any circumstances, do not use nuclear weapons.  Not coincidentally,
it was the Russians who pulled out during the missile crisis.

Andy Amago