[lit-ideas] Re: Berkeleyiana

  • From: "" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "Jlsperanza" for DMARC)
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 24 Sep 2015 18:11:58 -0400

In a message dated 9/23/2015 9:08:33 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
_jejunejesuit.geary2@gmail.com_ (mailto:jejunejesuit.geary2@xxxxxxxxx)
writes: "Dear
everyone," and goes on to quote from R. E. M.: "The stars are the greatest
thing you've ever seen/And they're there for you/For you alone you are the
everything" and comments using a phrase that I took as merely colloquial
but which L. J. Helm has taught me not to! For Geary writes:

"Yep. That's pretty much the way I see it too. Without me perceiving
nothing would exist, not as far as I'm concerned anyway..."

The phrase in question is "as far as Geary is concerned". Geary goes on:

"What is has no meaning except what I give to it. I am the meaning giver.
Just like you. Res Rei Rei REM Re."

-- where the accusative of 'res' is echoic of the source of the lyrics.
Recall too that the original title was not "Re: Berkeleyiana", but
'everything'.

Now back to Geary's concern. It may require (but then it may not) a
pragmatic analysis. Recall Tarski? He wrote:

i. To whom it may concern, snow is white.

ii. Snow is white, as far I'm concerned.

(ii) sounds odd -- but not in Geary's context, and it is this context which
Helm justifies as giving credibility to what otherwise would be some
simplistic Berkeleyanism.

Berkeley, granted, did not write, "without ME perceiving...". He uses the
more neutral,

iii. esse est percipi aut percipere.

To be is to be perceived or to perceive.

The first part is the more often quoted, since to assume that to be is also
"to perceive" seems what some would call an 'ex abrupto'?

Cheers,

Speranza

"La locuzione latina ex abrupto, tradotta letteralmente, significa
improvvisamente. Deriva dal participio perfetto del verbo abrumpo
Ā«interrompere,
troncareĀ».