[lit-ideas] Re: Believing What One Knows To Be False

  • From: "Walter C. Okshevsky" <wokshevs@xxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, Julie Krueger <juliereneb@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 18 Sep 2010 13:31:45 -0230

Quoting Julie Krueger <juliereneb@xxxxxxxxx>:

> The Gov of NJ (I think it was) recently said "I have had people come up to
> me and tell me that they don't agree with what I'm doing but they know it
> has to be done".  Is there anywhere in the philosphical universe where such
> a statement makes sense?
>
> Julie Krueger

Yes, I have heard humans utter things like that. What I think they mean is that
while they find course of action P morally wrong or prudentially questionable,
they are willing to engage in P, or support P, on grounds they believe to trump
grounds for not-P. Other locutions in the same category are: "It would be
morally wrong to arrest the pope but it nevertheless must be done" and "Capital
punishment is morally wrong but we need it for its detterance value."

Socrates would have difficulties understanding such claims since he is convinced
that nobody knowingly does wrong. I believe we can save Socrates's theory and
shed some light on these utterances by interpreting them as straightforward
claims to moral and/or prudential rightness. For example, the claim that it is
morally (and/or prudentially) wrong to arrest the pope but it must be done
would be interpreted simply as the claim that arresting the pope is morally
(and/or prudentially) right, justifiable in the given circumstances. (And all
moral judgements involve circumstances since the object of moral assessment is
a maxim or dispositions to abide by certain maxims.)

Walter O
MUN