[lit-ideas] Re: Beethoven and Rap

  • From: "Andreas Ramos" <andreas@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 13 Mar 2005 15:11:17 -0800

> Rap relies on a lot of musical conventions
> that have built up since the original Jamaican rappers...

Jamaicans? It was in the 70s when I first listened to Amiri Baraka (aka Leroi
Jones, the
jazz musician) talk/read his lyrics to music. I remember that at the time,
nobody knew what
he was doing or why he insisted on reading his poems in the middle of his
music. He was
doing this, pretty much by himself. Later, people gave the name "rap" to this
sort of stuff,
but they also seemed to have forgotten (or were never aware of) Amiri Baraka.
But to me, he
was the main person who started what is now called rap.

Some of his stuff is at
http://www.math.buffalo.edu/~sww/poetry/baraka_jones.html

yrs,
andreas