[lit-ideas] Bassey & Sillitoe (Is: Invisibility, Unhearability, ...

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2007 18:59:03 EDT

J. Evans replies to R. Paul:

>[whoa? Get trained in an American accent]
>and lose my comparative advantage* in the US market?

Also regarding American English:

>I've [...] read that US English is closer
>to Shakespeare than UK  English (I suppose it could be true: centuries
>of isolation, and all  that)

Right. But now _your_ part of the world is very interesting. I am  thinking
of Shirley Bassey. I met her once in Buenos Aires. What a charmer.  Anyway, her
background, linguistically speaking, is pretty interesting. Born in  Wales, I
believe her mother was English and his father a West Indian sailor.  Yet, she
sang with a "James Bond" accent all the time -- slightly American  to gain
some advantage in the USA.

Talking of West Indians (and their invisibility in the UK -- and hence  their
lack of impact on the mainstream speech) is Alan Sillitoe's epoch-making
film, "Saturday night, Sunday morning" with that charmer from Salford, Albert
Finney. I got the book (and actually met Alan Sillitoe at the Buenos Aires book

fair when he was visiting with his American-Jewish wife) and _in the novel_
there is this LOONG episode of the West Indian having an affair with the
tenant  of the room. As Sillitoe explained on more than one occasion -- the
presence of  a West Indian on a British 'flick' was thought too revolutionary
at the
time. It  was okay in a novel, because you can 'pretend' you "do" the accent
-- but it  would have been too much to contrast the son of the soil, Finney,
with the argot  of a mere immigrant from a far-off colony.

What a cosmopolitan, fascinating metropolitan area Cardiff must be -- just
like Buenos Aires. None of the purity of Memphis (TN, not Egypt) and  stuff.

Cheers,

JL