[lit-ideas] Re: Barnett's Blueprint for Action

  • From: "John McCreery" <john.mccreery@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2006 13:26:08 +0900

On 9/11/06, Eric Yost <eyost1132@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Here's my general take. The idea of partnering with China
and Iran is intriguing.

The tricky bit here is that we have lots of potential allies in China,
Russia, India, all of which have substantial minority Muslim
populations and no desire whatsoever to see Jihad flourish. On the
other side of the coin, they are all, especially China and India now,
rivals in the global scramble for petroleum and other resources, and
none is going to be willing to fall in line and say, "Yes, Massa" to a
Bush-style U.S. assertion that we are the only superpower and it's our
way or the highway. What is needed is some serious realpolitik, rooted
in clear assessment of both shared and opposed interests. The paranoid
megalomania that has been U.S. policy ever since 9/11 has been and
continues to be a recipe for disaster.

--
John McCreery
The Word Works, Ltd., Yokohama, JAPAN