[lit-ideas] Re: Barefoot in Athens

  • From: Omar Kusturica <omarkusto@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 5 May 2013 05:28:00 -0700 (PDT)

________________________________
 From: "Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx" <Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx>
To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Sunday, May 5, 2013 1:51 PM
Subject: [lit-ideas] Barefoot in Athens

Grice considers that with respect to what he calls the Lat. Unity of
Philosophy vs. Long. Unity of Philosophy (he was a sailor at heart).

The Longitudinal Unity means that what PLATO said (never mind Foucault) is
still relevant today ('provided we can introject into his shoes' -- or
sandals,  strictly).

*But Foucault himself would have vehemently rejected the assumption of
"Longitudinal Unity." Any kind of unity is a big no-no, and to suggest that we
could 'introject into his shoes' and read him as if he were physically present
is outright heresy.

O.K.