[lit-ideas] Bad behavior and the Welfare State

  • From: Lawrence Helm <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 6 Oct 2015 07:16:58 -0700

Lest I be thought to be arguing without reference to my presuppositions (superego), I was raised in Wilmington California, a dock town. Most of the men who lived there worked on the docks. My father was a lumber-carrier driver -- a good-looking guy who liked to drink and spend time with the ladies. My mother discovered lipstick on his collar and eventually divorced him. She later said that she was harder on me because I looked like my father. She used a switch to punish bad behavior, most often mine. My sister, two years younger, discovered that in any conflict she and I had, all she needed to do was yell to mother and mother would come out with her switch and use it on me. My sister and younger brother didn't get it as much. This was unjust! I fumed over the injustice of it and when I was ten and being punished for something I didn't deserve, I took the switch away from her. She remarried when I was 12 and promised that her new husband would give me the punishment I deserved. He however wasn't inclined in that direction.

The upshot was that I developed an intense interest in justice, right and wrong. Yes, punish bad behavior but make sure it was bad. Maybe that idea wouldn't work well, but as I grew that was what I thought ought to occur.

My mother had a son and daughter by her second, more permissive husband. She didn't think they turned out well. Years later she told me that she wished she'd divorced my father when she first knew he was seeing other women -- before any other children were born. She was very religious when she told me that and wished that she could have turned me into a pastor. Alas, I wouldn't have made a good one. I was too cynical about people's motives and behavior by that time.

I didn't in my previous note deal with the social philosophy that is behind the Welfare State. I believe Jean Jacques Rousseau is largely responsible and one of his great divergences from earlier thinking included the idea that men are basically good: leave them alone and they will turn out well. The American Indian, he argued, didn't have coercive Judea-Christian teaching but he turned out extremely well. That philosophy underlies the Welfare State IMO. Opposed to that idea is that men are born evil and need to be coerced into abandon their evil inclinations in order to behave well as adults. As you can see from the above, I resented (what I perceived to be) the misuse of the "rod" by my mother. But in retrospect I did believe that punishment ought to be used to coerce good behavior, I just didn't believe my mother used good judgment as to what ought to be punished. She did her best and her something was better than nothing. I came away with a strong sense of right and wrong, was overly scrupulous perhaps in doing what I considered to be "right."

Consider the bad behavior of a recent president, Bill Clinton. When discovered to have been canoodling with Monica Lewinski. When caught he used linguistics to deny it: I did not have sex with that woman (saying to himself that canoodling wasn't really sex). That didn't really satisfy anyone so did he repent his bad behavior in sackcloth and ashes? Not at all. No repentance of bad behavior. He used the very common modern response: "I made a mistake." Taking a wrong turn on the way to grandmas is a mistake. Getting an answer wrong on your driver's test is a mistake. Sexual canoodling with Monica Lewinski was bad behavior. Did Mrs Clinton ever use a rod on little Billy?

Lawrence