[lit-ideas] Re: Bad Poetry Competition 2011

  • From: David Ritchie <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2011 12:16:36 -0700

On Jun 14, 2011, at 12:02 PM, Mike Geary wrote:

> DR: "I half-apologize for not following the rules about numbers and titles.
> I returned from Mexico on Sunday and was feeling feverish yesterday."
>
> Hold on there.  Whoa.  That won't do.  That don't wash.  For you penance say
> three Our Fathers and three Hail Marys.  Now go in peace and sin no more.
>
> Father Mike
> Memphis
I spent yesterday puttering, sleeping.  In the morning I woke to aches and
pains, the sort that usually accompany a fever.  Since no other symptoms
developed, I unpacked, did the washing, drove to Costco to get my glasses
fixed, talked with the girls, went back to bed and slept for a couple of hours.
 I kept imagining that I'd sit down and write an account of Mexico; I knew that
this was not possible.  After a little weeding, I made dinner.  I thought I'd
go to bed early, but suddenly the symptoms waned and so, in response to what I
understood of lit ideas correspondence I wrote two things.  I knew I hadn't
quite understood what was being asked--possibly the weirdest symptom was
slowness of intellect--but I wanted to write.

Now I've found "the rules."
> Entries (multiple entries allowed) should be presented one at a time and
> given a title: e.g. "Look".
>
> The entry should then consist of two parts
>
> (1) A poem or an excerpt from a poem written by a poet.
>
> (2) Something written by the entrant, which may bear some resemblance or no
> resemblance to what is written by the poet.
>
> The aim of the competition is to make it difficult to guess which of the two
> is the real poet

What could be clearer?  How could I have been able to write/edit those two
pieces, but fail to find and comprehend the rules exactly?  Ah, mysteries of
the wobbly brain

In this morning's paper is a piece about the five Mexican soccer players who
were suspended for using illegal substances.  The current theory is that they
ate too much steroid-enhanced meat.  Maybe that's what's wrong?  If you find my
words bulging a bit, hints of Arnold about them...there's your answer...osso
bucco poisoning.  (Yeah, the best food in town was Italian).  Sad, innit?

Or, as Geary implies, maybe I just need more hails.

David Ritchie,
Portland, Oregon