[lit-ideas] Re: Back to Popper (and further back to Hume)

  • From: Omar Kusturica <omarkusto@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2006 18:37:19 -0800 (PST)

I think that Hume might say - or at any rate I would
say - that determing probabilities has little to do
with logic and much more with empirical obervation.
Suppose that you are in someone's kitchen and there
are three boxes on the shelf. In one, there is salt.
The second one is empty. A guess as to what could be
in the third one would be much better informed by
empirical knowledge of the kitchen owner's habits and
preferences than by any logical inference. Or so it
seems to me.

O.K.

http://new.mail.yahoo.com